Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Road Rage Ain't Saintly


Yesterday I 'fessed up to my fleshly unsanctified attitude with line breakers in waiting lines. May I say it bugs me the most in conference or church settings. Last night I discussed this with a friend over dinner. She didn't give me one ounce of mercy. Oh, no...my dear friend pointed out how upset I got driving on our recent trip to a large city.


Oh, my she's right. Not only do I need to confess and repent of bad attitude anger in waiting lines, but now I've got to look at the real me in some traffic situations. I know you blog readers will understand:


We were lost. My Tom Tom gps was "running his know it all mouth," the red light turned to green, and we took one little moment to think and "toot!!! toot!!!" blared the horn behind me. I quickly made a left ...well, I was in the left turn lane. Then the car rode my bumper for two whole blocks laughing at me. You guessed it! Mild mannered Kay turned into nose pumping smoke red faced non-cussing hothead. I got in the far right lane as soon as possible and let the impatient rude impertinent road hog menace get by me. Ain't it wonderful to see how well I have processed all of this? Anyway I then got behind this car. I wanted to repay like with like, but then something...probably Merciful Gracious Holy Spirit...got my better self in line. My friend laughed and laughed and still laughs about Saint Kay behind the wheel in downtown traffic.


Well with my halo slipping off my head I ask "Is God still working on any of you being 'ticked off at the little things'?"


I hear a soft whisper in my thoughts, "little foxes." In Song of Solomon 2:15 God speaks, "Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom."

I am a crisis queen: give me a full blown crisis and I will amaze you. But in the everyday hum drum I don't always walk in ways that emulate Christ. Marion Bond West Acuff, Guidepost writer and friend, once told me that she and I reigned so well in crisis we probably create one just to wear the crown. Oops... I think I'm past that drama need, but I do see I have much to learn in "being angry" on what warrants it from God's perspective and walking it out in honesty and maturity for the good of all involved.

Today I'm processing all those
little foxes placed in my life to steal my blessings and fruit of the Spirit. My dryer broke last week and my disposal is frozen but that's o.k. I won't act like it hasn't happened, but it will get the attention it warrants...no more.

It's summertime down here in Carolina. I ran across this poem that speaks of little irritants in the summer.

The chigger is no bigger
Than the end of a small pin;
But the itch that he raises
Simply amazes.

Don't sweat the small stuff!!!

No comments:

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.