Thursday, June 11, 2009

Procrastination Fungus

Procrastination works like an ever growing fungus in my life.
Procrastination almost got me again. As I was blessed with promotions in my recent census job I failed to send in my application to She Speaks Speaking & Writing Conference. I devoted most of my time to the urgent needs of my job.
Get this: I was working my census job partially to make the money for this great conference. When I went to their website I discovered they were sold out. I signed up for the waiting list, but I didn't have great hope for a place opening up. How many times do I have to go down this road: Tending to the urgent; and overlooking the important matters?

BUT yesterday the email arrived telling me a cancellation had opened a spot for me. My immediate reaction was Yahoo!! Yippee! Then reality rushed in and I realized my procrastination had worked a number on me again. I have several writing projects partially completed. I have 6 weeks to finish these to be in place for the conference. I've come a long way in slaying this internal dragon: Procrastination. It's obvious to me I still have to fight to rid myself of this self sabotage.

My funniest procrastination saga is my dream to publish a procrastination blog that will offer wisdom and helps for other strugglers. I've had this dream in my heart for over a year. Perfectionism has joined forces with procrastination to entangle my dreams. Best I can figure it will take a sharp machete to cut the vine jungle down to free myself to take action.

This blog was one the fruits of my first She Speaks Conference last year. Women from all over the nation and a few other countries come together to earnestly pursue the dreams and visions God has placed in their hearts. The passionate love of the Lord teamed with a fervent willingness to work set this conference apart from many others I have attended.

Blog posts will probably shorten up while I'm smoking away on this laptop to make up the time I spent digging into housecleaning and decorating. Got to go.......God bless you all.

5 comments:

Red Letter Believers said...

Your idea of a procrastination blog is a great one. So what are you waiting for? Or that's right...

And what a great title. You made me laugh.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Ok....so are you coming??? Oh I hope so!!!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Oh Kay, you probably can't imagine how FULLY this sentence of yours describes me...."Perfectionism has joined forces with procrastination to entangle my dreams." Every single day now I face problems caused mainly by either my perfectionism or my procrastination! Help!

I'm so happy for you that you are getting to go to She Speaks. I'm going to want to know ALL about it when it's over!

Marilyn

Kelly said...

Are you going to She Speaks this year? I'm not, but heading to a conference in Philly instead.

A blog on procrastination...will you ever get around too it? LOL!

God's girl said...

So glad you got in!!! Praying as you prepare. SO happy and hope to see you there too!
Much love,
Angela

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.