Wednesday, October 22, 2008

One Word Describing Jesus Christ

"If you had one word to describe Jesus, what would it be? asked Dr. William Gaultiere of author Dallas Willard.

How would you have answered that question? Dr. Gaultiere encourages us to close our eyes for a moment and consider this. Write down the first words that come to mind. If you could only use one word what would it be?

I happened on this query at Christian Soul Care Devotional website: http://www.christiansoulcare.com/

When you have time check it out; I found much good reading. But back to this interview with author Willard.
Dr. Gaultiere, "Here are the words I thought of… Jesus is… Love… Holy… Lord… Teacher… Risen… Healer… (These are all good words to describe Jesus.)"

"Then Dallas looked into my eyes and shared with me his word. You need to know that this was a special moment for me. He’s my key mentor. I’ve read every book he’s written more than once. I’ve listened (many times) to every audio teaching series of his I can find. In the last six years he has discipled me to Jesus in ways that have impacted all that I am and everything that I do as a Christian, husband, father, friend, psychologist, minister, writer…What one word would Dallas Willard use to describe Jesus?:
"Relaxed."

Relaxed?I would have never thought of that word! But ever since that conversation I haven’t been able to stop thinking about Jesus being relaxed.

Think about it.

  • Jesus had far and away the most important and dangerous mission that any human being has ever had or ever will have.

  • He had to wait 18 years to begin working on his calling and then he had just three years of public ministry to fulfill it. And yet Jesus was relaxed!

  • Jesus needed to convince a large number people that although he was merely a man he was also the unique Son of God.

  • And his followers needed to be so confident in him as their Lord and Savior that they would give their lives to lead other people to know him – even to the point of torture and death. And yet Jesus was relaxed!

  • Jesus could only be in one location at a time. And when he left one city to go to another he left behind people that hadn’t been healed or discipled (Matthew 13:58).

  • Most people – even his own family at first – rejected him and his message (Luke 4:28-30, Mark 3:20, 31-34).

  • Many of the people he discipled deserted him (John 6:66).

  • And even his faithful disciples didn’t understand who he was until after he rose from the dead (Mark 8:31-33)! And yet Jesus was relaxed!

  • The fate of all humankind – past, present, and future – depended on Jesus successfully completing his gospel mission! And yet Jesus remained relaxed

"When I have big responsibilities I start to feel overwhelmed… When I am stressed by situations anxious feelings rise up within me… When I am criticized or rejected I am tempted to react by feeling bad about myself or getting angry… When I have lots to do I tend to hurry…How did Jesus remain at peace when he was under pressures much, much harder than I face?"

"He practiced what he preached! He lived in the same "easy yoke" that he offers to us. Jesus was the first disciple: he apprenticed himself to the Father, learning to live out the things he would later teach (think of Jesus’ 18 hidden years from ages 12 to 30 as his discipleship training program)."

  • Our sinless Lord "grew" (Luke 2:52); he "learned" (Hebrews 5:8) how to… maintain moment-by-moment submission to God’s will, never saying or doing anything except as the Father directed him (John 6:38, 12:50).

  • Pray without ceasing (John 11:42, 1 Thessalonians 5:17)

  • Be so dependent upon the Holy Spirit as to be filled with his presence and power without limit (John 3:34)

  • Bless those that cursed him (Luke 22:34).

"In my discipleship to Jesus I am learning how to follow his example and walk with him in his "easy yoke," his "unforced rhythms of grace" (Matthew 11:28, MSG). And so more and more I too am relaxed!"

My hat is off to Dr. Gaultiere for his website and his ministry. This concept of Jesus being relaxed and confident in Father God is a reassuring picture for me as I think on the Lord. One incident Dr. Gaultiere didn't mention was the storm at sea where Jesus slept through the sea pitching the boat to and fro. He chastised his followers for not being relaxed. With all the "storms" about, may we be in Christ and be relaxed.




2 comments:

Joyfulsister said...

Hey Sis..
Please come over when *U* can I have 2 awards for *U*.

Hugz Lorie

sailorcross said...

Kay,

All I can say is "WOW"!!! You know me, you know I am rarely speechless--but I am today!!

Your post has left me in awe of Jesus, once again, but from a totally different perspective.

Beth

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.