Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Possum Standoff Conclusion



Two police cars pull in to save widow from "strange" acting loose possum in downtown.

Yesterday I shared that a possum showed up to show down my guard dog at 5 AM in the morning. I was astounded at the bravery of the little possum when my huge dog was threatening him with barks and attitude of body language.

Mid-morning the possum was still in my front yard in full sun lying around "playing possum." Finally I called the police and after many calls to Wildlife to Animal Control and many answering machines two police cars show up. Evidently they get calls frequently for roaming raccoons and possums terrorizing residents. After moving the possum with a stick they saw that he was injured from being run over. He was evidently blind and had other severe injuries on his body. There was no threat of rabies and he would probably die soon. I had a young man helping me with yard work. Later in the afternoon he died and this young man took care of everything.
God's mercy amazes me. That "little" incident was quite frightening for me living alone. But the officers were so accommodating and quick to respond. Tony was wonderful in doing the "guy" thing with the situation. Any other day I would have been alone. I would have had to call in adult children or friends for helpp or worse yet, handle it myself. But everyone I needed was already here....amazing.

So..................guess the possum wasn't just brave and standing firm, eh? No, he was nearly dead and could only hear my big dog tell him to leave his yard. I see spiritual analogies in everything, so I could 'go there' with blind and looking courageous, but today I want to honor the comments you wrote on "standing firm."

Nicki of three girly girls at wrote:
Standing firm for me is not budging when it comes to the battles that are against us each day. Being able to recognize the battles half the time is the biggest battle!!

I agree with Nicki and my "guest" possum demonstrated one of my vulnerabilities in standing firm: I'm blind and deceived at possible threats. I'm convinced I don't think enough of the power of my words to myself and others. I committed years ago to never speak anything aloud that I did not want to happen to me or my family.
I had a habit of making light of myself through sarcastic, self-deprecating humorous remarks. My entire conversation patterns changed. I will not voice a worry in defeatist terms. I frame those statements in context of what I am believing through the help of God to transpire.
I'm a thinker and a talker; so being aware and alert to "see" the power of my words is critical for me to "stand firm." Nicki, I appreciate your reminder of the daily need to "stand firm."

Marilyn in Mississippi said...
To me standing firm is when God has been very clear about something in His Word. Then when I am tempted in myself or by someone else to go against what I know to be "firmly" right, I try to ..with God's help...stand firm on that issue.

Yes, Marilyn, our "sight" comes from the standard laid out clearly in the Bible and opened up to our understanding through the work of Holy Spirit. Seems it is God's plan to give us an "exam" on all newly revealed truth. Whenever anything wonderfully new is going on in my life spiritually there is always a test of some sort for me to "stand firm." Wonder why I seem to always be caught off guard?

Marilyn shared personally: There have been times when my husband and I have been ridiculed because of standing firm on certain things. But God has always blessed us for it! Of course there are times when I get a little shaky and am not as firm as I should be. I want those times to become fewer and fewer!

Yes, I know about the "shaky" times. I was relieved when years ago I read this truth: "you don't need faith except in the presence of doubt and fear." I had to think on that one a bit, but it's true. People out of their minds don't fear anything. Even the ole' possum appeared fearless, but he was blind. Victory for the Christian is feeling the fear and being obedient in faith of Almighty God.

Today I thank God for help in a strange day with a dying possum. That may seem like a little thing to some of you with plenty of people in your day to day lives, but to this new widow I have been greatly blessed. I am thankful for having a guy here to do what this lady would not have done easily.
Lord, give me eyes to see and teach me to stand firm on Your principles and be victorious in spiritual battles. I am Yours and I trust You to lead me day by day. Thank You for the humor of yesterday: I've laughed a lot, and thank You for the life lessons. May I thrive in the ups and downs of each day...including this one!

2 comments:

Dorothy Champagne said...

Your insights are wonderful here, Kay, about standing firm. And also, I looked at it from the other side (as I often do, in my twisted world). Oh the poor possum? Often times we are frightened by things that come at us, we determine to stand strong and do battle - but sometimes, it might just be someone that's hurting and they are looking for an answer - but don't know where to go for help - or how to act to get that help. They know they're on the verge of all hope being lost, and they don't care what they have to go up against.

So while we are standing firm in our faith - we can look to see the possible hurt in the ones we come across.

Not that we should help possums . . . because a good broom and swift upper body muscle movements will do wonders :)

Nicole said...

"People out of their minds don't fear anything. Even the ole' possum appeared fearless, but he was blind. Victory for the Christian is feeling the fear and being obedient in faith of Almighty God."

I love this quote. I was thinking about this very thing yesterday! I had read a similar quote the day before and it really got me thinking. Thanks Kay!

PS-I don't think that it's a little thing that you learned this lesson from a possum. I think we can learn from anyone or anthing in our life if we choose to.

Love and prayers,
Nicole

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.