Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wisdom After Possum's Demise

"Stand" and "Resist:" illustrated well by my possum interloper this week. Paul uses these two words in Ephesians when he directs us in The key words in Ephesians on spiritual warfare. "Therefore, take up the full armour of God, so that you will be able to resist in that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore..." (Ephesians 6:13)

I love blogging when you readers send in your view points of my posts. For the last three days I've been sharing the funny, yet frightening time I've had with a possum in my yard. I love the Lord, the Bible and my Christian journey so much I see a life lesson in everything. It's a joke in my family..."oh, yeah, Mom we know you see a life illustration in this chaos."

But with the injured, blind possum standing firm against my guard dog, my frightened yelling and the police I do see wisdom I can use. Reading your posts, God's Word and contemplating all of this I want to be alert and watchful with my spiritual arsenal ready, but I will keep on with the work at hand.

Thrive Christians salutes our great readers:

For the last few days I've been sharing some scary moments I've had with an injured possum lurking about my city home. Blogging amazes me how it connects us from all over the world. This possum incident has shown that wonderfully.

Lori (blog:http://encouragementfrommyheart.blogspot.com/ Joyfulsister) shared her thoughts on possums and standing firm:
Standing firm to me is never giving up, keeping focus on the Lord who is the author and finisher of our faith. standing firm to me is also standing upon his word and to keep believing that he is true to his word, and that it will not return void.
I have never seen a possum they kind a look like the wild moon goose we have running around here in Hawaii
.


Dorothy Champagne has left a new comment on your post "Possum Standoff Conclusion":

Your insights are wonderful here, Kay, about standing firm. And also, I looked at it from the other side (as I often do, in my twisted world). Oh the poor possum? Often times we are frightened by things that come at us, we determine to stand strong and do battle - but sometimes, it might just be someone that's hurting and they are looking for an answer - but don't know where to go for help - or how to act to get that help. They know they're on the verge of all hope being lost, and they don't care what they have to go up against.

So while we are standing firm in our faith - we can look to see the possible hurt in the ones we come across.

Not that we should help possums . . . because a good broom and swift upper body muscle movements will do wonders
:)


Nicole of http://wwwvictoriousheart.blogspot.com/ said...
"People out of their minds don't fear anything. Even the ole' possum appeared fearless, but he was blind. Victory for the Christian is feeling the fear and being obedient in faith of Almighty God."I love this quote. I was thinking about this very thing yesterday! I had read a similar quote the day before and it really got me thinking. Thanks Kay!PS-I don't think that it's a little thing that you learned this lesson from a possum. I think we can learn from anyone or anything in our life if we choose to.

God is our protector: we can stand firm and resist.

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Kay,
I have loved your "serial" posts of the past three days about what you have learned from the possum! Your "object lessons" are never dull. ha Keep up the good work!

Marilyn

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.