Friday, June 26, 2009

A Time To Laugh

Doing vs. Talking


Last night 3 wonderful funny Christian young people (young ... compared to me; seems everyone is young compared to me!) met at my home for our first work session on "A Time Laugh" comedy troupe. For over 6 months we have discussed turning our zany coping humor into a ministry. Recently someone asked me how I walked out my call to minister. I shared all the burning passions in my heart and to my surprise this woman asked if the comedy group would give a presentation in July.

We have a gig (hope I got that right), and last night we came together to brainstorm ideas. In my writing and in this venture I have concluded that to intentionally try to be funny IS NOT FUNNY!


But last night was powerful. I don't know when I've ever laughed so much in one evening. The four of us range in age from 26 year old Ryan, 30 year old Stacie, 38 year old Laura, and me: a card carrying senior of 65. You'd never put us together, but God did. We have some common threads in our histories: born in trauma, issues with challenging beginnings, and from earliest childhood we recall laughing in the middle of crisis. But most of all we share a passion for doing whatever we can for others to know the peace and joy and fulfillment we know through Jesus Christ.


Talking about pulling off "A Time To Laugh" has been replaced with action. Rehearsal on our brainstorming is coming up soon and I can't wait. Hopefully I've stirred you up with a dream in your heart that you will do more than talk about it. Take Action...jump in, the water's fine!!!

5 comments:

karen said...

That is so awesome! Laughter is a great way to communicate and to heal. Praying God uses your group to touch many!

Kelly said...

I cannot wait to hear more on this. Let me know how it goes!!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Oh Kay....I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during your "brain-storming" night! :)

Hope it all goes well for the group! Keep us posted.

Marilyn

God's girl said...

Aww!! Kay that is great! I am so excited about this for you and cannot wait to hear all God does through it!! What a blessing indeed.
Much love,
Angela

Kathy said...

Hi Kay, it's Kathy Lay. I loved reading about you in the email this morning, but couldn't reply directly to you (that was Angela's address, right?) So I just wanted to stop by and say I can not WAIT to meet you in person. Will you be at She Speaks?

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.