Monday, June 29, 2009

Peace of Mind is Thriving

Thriving No Matter What

I try to encompass the abundant life that is secured for me through Jesus ;and yet I know I never fully grasp it's truth. Today I ran across an article by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin in the Daily Lift. I love reading interpretation of Hebrew wording because I find it helps me understand the Bible more clearly.

Rabbi Pliskin wrote on tranquility. He explained there are two terms for tranquility - "shalvah" and "menuchah." He points out that they seem similar but in truth, they contradict each other.

Shalvah refers to a situation in which a person is not missing anything in life. He has everything he wants and therefore has no worries. He has a nice house with all the furnishings he can ask for. He has a large amount of cash handy to purchase whatever he wants. His business is going well, and all of his property and possessions are entirely safe. He has no enemies who would want to cause him harm. There is peace in his world. He is entirely healthy. He is respected and people accept his opinion. He has no competitors who are striving to diminish is stature. He has no obligations to others. He is successful at whatever he does. This is shalvah.

And it's a negative trait.

Why? Because if you feel that everything must be perfect, you are in danger that if the details of your life are not to your liking, you will suffer. The many difficulties that arise in your life will prevent you from experiencing pleasure and peace of mind.

Menuchah, on the other hand, is a virtue. It is a state in which a person lives with peace of mind since he does not need anything! Not because he has all he would wish for, but because his attitude is one of accepting his present situation.

He will be aware that all benefits and damages in life are dependent on the will of the Almighty. He has trust that whatever is decreed for him is what will occur. If he has what he would like, that is good; and if he is not able to get it, that, too, is for the good.

He does not feel anxiety about possible misfortunes. He knows that "every bullet has its special address," and he wants only that which the Almighty chooses for him. If you attain the trait of menuchah, you will feel inner peace regardless of your financial situation and whether or not you have the approval of others.

The person who has reached this level of not needing all that he would wish for is saved from all kinds of frustration. People will not have anything to criticize him for. Even if someone does wrongly accuse him of anything, he does not take it to heart. He knows that he is being accused in error, and is able to feel an inner joy. This level is called menuchah.

This blog, Thrive Christian, is written with a focus on celebrating the life Jesus Christ redeemed for me and all other believers. As I read Rabbi Pliskin's words I realized this is THAT attitude that sets Christians apart from the world. Menuchah: is perfected peace of mind that Jesus secured for me.... no matter what my $, health, or life looks like.

This one verse is core to my life: John 10:10 (New King James Version)
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

In this anxiety filled world do you know this peace? Thrive Christian Blog is wanting to hear about peace no matter what's going on in your life.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Praise Jesus! I wholeheartedly agree with this post. In fact, a few months ago this is what I realized after looking back over the past few years that I have been searching for. That is peace of mind. The very peace that is described here, and praise Jesus I am experiencing His beautiful peace today in and among situations that I have no control over, but He does! Amen!?! Thanks for sharing!

In Him,
Nicole

karen said...

Sometimes, peace is hard grab on to. The world around is full of worry, fear, despair... and very little peace.
I think there comes a time in the midst of a trial where we can't do anything but hold on to His peace. If we don't we will self destruct.

I struggle a lot with finding Menuchah. But when I can taste it, it is so sweet and I don't want to let it go. Unfortunately, I let the burdens of this world carry it away.

Anonymous said...

I love the sentiment this discussion describes. It is so easy to get caught up in trying and earning when all we have to do is acknowledge and accept the gifts so freely given to us. I know I struggle with this daily!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Kay,
I love the way you gave us the two terms for tranquility! It explained a lot of things. How some people can be happy as Paul said, "In whatsoever state they are in".

Hope you are having a good Independence Day!

Marilyn

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.