Sunday, May 3, 2009

What About Me? Dangerous question when angry


Righteous wrath or selfish tantrum? May we continue our dialogue on anger by looking at healthy anger versus irresponsible immature acting out.


The Bible seems to discuss the folly of selfish anger more than ways God means for us to express anger.

"But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips." (Col. 3:8).

"Fits of rage" is listed as one of the deeds of the flesh in Galatians 5:20. "An angry man stirs up dissension, and a hot-tempered one commits many sins."
(Prov . 29:22) ". . . a quick-tempered man displays folly." (Prov. 14:29)

As I look at myself and others close to me I sense that the anger that is totally self consumed is usually on a wrong track. When I see it's all about "me" I need to get alone with God and fall on my face for His rescue.

When I'm convinced I'm grabbing self protection I need to look at my heart. "For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. "(Lk. 6:45).This verse shows me that what I'm saying is directly connected to what fills my heart. If my heart has an evil treasure the overflow will be evil.

Self protection is a farce to me at this stage of my life. I have so totally surrendered to God, He is my Hope in all things. So when I get into "me" I must repent. First I must cry out as King David did in Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

When God searches my heart He always shows me where I've missed the truth I need. Once I see where I've missed His best I confess and repent.

Then in His mercy He cleans me up from my heart out to my mouth!!!

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one an other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (I Jn. 1:7,9).


You'd think I'd have this down pat at my age. Oh no. I'm bone tired from this new job ... I just received a promotion so it's even more time consuming. A good friend called last night and we discussed theology. That's not a good idea when I'm in H.A.L.T (hungry, angry, lonely or tired): I was hungry and tired and suddenly I was frustrated with his viewpoint being so far from mine. I shot back to him with opposite Biblical understanding. I didn't wrangle but a few minutes. But I shouldn't have argued with him. Neither of us moved, but I was frustrated and we both knew we ended the conversation without peace.

What was that about? It was all about me and my right to be right! HOW UTTERLY IMMATURE AND DUMB. I was hotly angry, but what is usually a great interchange with this dear friend was a disconnect in our spirits.
This morning I'm rested and at peace. I see the absurdity of either of us tugging on our interpretation of a spiritual concept. God's in control and He is running His Kingdom perfectly and our little minds can never completely embrace what He is doing. He never called me to understand all He's doing. He called me to hear Him and obey; trusting Him in everything.

Anger is powerful. I pray to learn what God wants me to do with this gift He placed it in me for His purposes. I pray not to use it to protect and elevate me; He perfectly protects and raises me up for His Kingdom purposes. May Jesus be lifted up above all.


I need to know I'm not alone on needing to understand anger. Dare you to open up on your viewpoint on anger?


2 comments:

sailorcross said...

You don't need to even dare me!!

Anger, anger, anger!! That's all I've been dealing with lately!!

Have I retaliated in my childish, selfish "me" attitude? Yes, I have!! Have I ranted, raved, cried, yelled, slammed doors? Oh, my--yes!!

Has all of this gotten me anywhere? No.

Have I asked God to show me the "right" way--"HIS WAY"--yes, I have, and He is leading me on.

Thank you, God--and thank you God for being so patient with me--sometimes I'm just a slow learner.

Beth

Sharon said...

Kay:
Glad I came over here from the SA group.This is an excellent post.I have at times in my life dealt with anger.And not always the righteous kind.This was full of good reminders for me.Love and Blessings from Oregon~Sharon

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.