Sunday, May 24, 2009

Listen To My Life

Reading an old book today (Now and Then) and I ran across this line:

"Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and the heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace." (Now and Then, p. 87)

Frederick Bruechner wrote this in his Book Now and Then. Thriving in the abundant life Jesus died to give each of us can only be received and lived out when we embrace the whole of life as "good." Pleasant fun days are important, but the challenging days that may hold tears will make sense to us when we are with our Heavenly Father.
A few years ago in my greatest tragedy I sensed God calling me to "thrive." There was nothing going on around me that would encourage living, much less thriving. The economic changes in our world are pressing in on most of us. The pressure is evident everywhere I go. Nerves are on edge and people are quick to snap at one another. But to those of you who "Know" the Lord Jesus Christ as your foundation and hope in life ... this is your time to show the world your Source of life.

Laughter and seeing the light side of life is my new pursuit. I'm working on ways to write humorously, but that's not a laughing matter. In my everyday life I laugh quickly and I see the funny spin on most things quickly. But learning the skill to communicate humor in written language is challenging for me. I thank God for calling me to write and speak humorously. As I listen to life around me I sense a need for joy and laughter...especially in Church.

Back to the beginning of this post........listen to your life. Bruechner worded a truth that is powerful in living the abundant life of a Christian. Dare to embrace all of life without rationalizing the bad things to seem pleasant to you. Some stuff hurts, angers, disappoints, or threatens us. I'm finding that Truth does indeed set me free. Truth about me, Truth about my family present and in the past, Truth about the world around me, Truth about my church. As I dare to look with eyes wide open and ears keenly alert I dare to know the Truth as I see and hear all through the filter of the Word of God: His Holy Bible.

Life...I'm listening.

2 comments:

rebekah said...

Hi Kay,

This is Lesia from Belton. I got your post on my blog about the She SPeaks Conference. I would love to connect with you. You can e-mail me at freetobe@lesiaglick.com. We can go from there on personal contact numbers etc.

Thanks ,
Lesia

God's girl said...

Good post!! I love that. God is teaching me some of the same. I am reading Desiring God by Piper. Good stuff.
Much love,
Angela

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.