Friday, May 1, 2009

I'm Ticked Off and Angry!!!

I'm angry...now what?

The post: Be Angry but Sin Not!!! fired you readers up with great responses.
I have benefited from my anger release last week and I'm ready to see the saints free and healthy. I am daring to rip off the denial blanket on anger among Christians. God gave us the emotion of anger and I fear I've been afraid to "feel" and walk in my anger.

How about you?


Like David at Red Letter Believers ...
"I am not one to get angry -- at least externally. Instead, I keep it inside and build resentment. Boy...is that healthy!I've stuffed anger inside."

Anger suppressed can become depression and illness.


I live to please God and I fear I''ve pretended I really wasn't angry, when I was.


I've observed myself and others to realize that no one blows off steam of suppressed anger except on folks perceived as "safe." Example: Husband is furious at work and swings open the door at home grouchy to wife and kids. Mom is furious with her husband but has no patience with her children. So, I've concluded we can control anger enough to be sure we pass it down the line to people we believe cannot fire or greatly hurt us.


I'm staying on this subject for as long as it takes for us to see God's truth. I am sensing from my own recent experience that God's original design for anger in us is key to freedom to be His children in strength and purpose.


I can hear some of you, "Kay, anger is bad. Christians are kind and gentle at all times. We cannot be angry and holy at the same time."


Ummm....the Bible says:

"Be angry..." (Eph . 4:26,NKJV). But that is often where people stop. They ignore the next part that says, "and do not sin."


Some Christians have the first part of the command down pat; but no working knowledge of the second half.


There are other verses that can be interpreted to allow anger. "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry..." Again, that indicates that if you just don't fly off the handle, that's okay.


But again, the following phrase adds some light to the subject.

"For man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires" (James 1:19,20).

It's no mystery in this angry culture we're puzzled on how to live holy lives and express normal anger in ways that please God.

As I look to God's Word I sense:

I can be angry if:

1. I do not sin

2. I don't go to sleep with it

3. It is anger from God and not man's anger

4. It achieves righteousness

5. It comes slowly.

If we were more sophisticated, we could say that psychologically it is better to release our anger. Pent up anger may well give us ulcers. Of course, if we release our anger, others may get ulcers. It rarely occurs to people that there may be a third option: taking our anger to God.

Can we get real? Dare we admit to God that we are angry, that if it is not going to achieve His righteousness, we do not want it? With this confession, our anger is removed from us, we may continue our life in the joy of the Lord and nobody gets ulcers.

" A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." (Proverbs 29:11, NIV)

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. "(Romans 12:12, NIV)

What do you say about your anger?

Someone near you gets angry and you're hurt by it....I truly want to hear from you on this touchy subject.


© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.