Saturday, March 7, 2009

Where Did Fun Friday Go?

Yesterday I was so full of concerns that funny wasn't in me. To make it up to you readers that love getting a good laugh here at Thrive Christians I am planning an entire fun week.


What consumed me to the point I changed the blog schedule? This week I have spent time with folks strained to their last penny, a woman whose husband is in an adulterous affair and she senses God calling her to stand, a family with serious disabling disease in one spouse and they don't know how they'll live with the cost of their meds and the money they receive, and that's just a few of the people in my life calling on me to join them in prayer.




What hit me was how differently each one was processing their dire circumstances. The ones who are disciplined to stay in God's Word and pray without ceasing had hope, but that was not the case of the "sometime" saints. I feel I've lived in all these camps at one time or another. But when I was slapped down and didn't know if I could get up many years ago, God scooped me up and from that time on I've never believed He wasn't bigger than anything coming at me. He is my life and my way: so reading His Word and praying daily are not options but the way I live. But in America I sense that the worship, praise and Bible study are many times motivated by feelings.




I sense that in America we are more prone to this need of a feeling than Christians in other cultures. Our ancestors were not "see ya' when I have that feeling, God" people. Your comments are wonderful. Readers, you need to go back to yesterday's post and open up the comments. I was blessed by all of them.




After I reflected on some folks throwing in the towel I imagined satan celebrating how easy it is for him to operate in America. If saints read only the Bible passages that have to do with a study class they teach or attend and pray only when the crisis hits they are easy picking for the enemy. St. Paul was clear over and over that we war against powers and principalities. If it's war, shouldn't we have the mindset of warriors?




In light of this I wrote a poem...poetry is new for me; so be kind. Picture an overly dressed gaudy dude in black and white spat shoes with a shiny suit and a watch with a chain. He's in a bar laughing it up. He's arrogant and bragging about the ease of his job in the USA with believers who are undisciplined in personal Bible study, worship and prayer. I can see him licking his chops and twirling his watch chain with a victory shuffle.

Life's Easy In The USA
The devil sneered, "These days life is easy in the USA
Oh yeah, times are different now.
Years ago saints drove me mad,
Praying, Praising and Reading the Word of God.

I commanded thousands of troops from sea to sea,
To distract the called and chosen.
Daily they mined treasure from the Word.
Without fail, prayers were continually on their lips.
They were untouchable in the USA.



Now, life's so easy in the USA.
They're saved and baptized on Sunday.
By Wednesday they're leaders;
Bogged down with church work.
They have no time to pray or seek God in His Word.
They scramble to study the Bible for their church work.
It never occurs to 'em to read the Bible
To hear a "now" Word from God.
The noise and chatter from tv, cell phones, ipods, and computers
Keep 'em distracted. One less chore for me.

They work as many hours as they possibly can.
That keeps 'em away from joining in prayer
With one another.
They give me credit for their lack of peace and despair.
I'm just lounging around while their neglect does my job.

This fight doesn't take troops of demons anymore.
Life happens, and down they go.
As weak as they stay, I don't call in any calvary;
A feather'll do.

I fear somebody will wake 'em up.
If they realize their strength comes in praising the Lord,
Abiding in His presence, and proclaiming His Word...
No matter what....then I'm back to having to work.
Then my life won't be easy in the USA.
I remember the old days when saints
Knew their Source was God.
They lived in praise, power, and protection.
They would stand without fail,
And they'd overcome my best shots when life happened.
But for now I've got it made.
I get the credit for everything wrong;
And they blame me for their own neglect.
Drinks are on me. 'Cause I'm celebrating
That life's so easy for me and mine in the USA.

copyright Kay Martin March, 2009
Subtle ... naw. But I can listen to what you say. Talk to me and may we encourage one another to fall on our faces and cry ...
Abba Father. Fill us with Your presence, empower us to stand, and we will praise You forever. This land of the USA began with Your name on the lips of those who first sailed from far away lands to our shores. Feelings matter but Lord, show us how to live without our feelings dictating our daily life disciplines. Have mercy on America and on Your people throughout the world.
In Jesus Christ's name: AMEN





No comments:

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.