Monday, February 23, 2009

Your Fruit is Showing

Last week great comments came in response to discerning maturity in Christians. Today I give you Chatty Kelly of http://chattykelly.blogspot.com/ , her daily Christian devotional blog. I start my day with some "Kelly" wisdom.

Kelly's thoughts on Christian maturity: Jesus said we'll know them by their fruit. Look at what their life is producing. The problem is we are all sinners, saved by grace. So we'll all have some rotten fruit from time to time. The question is are we characterized by fresh fruit with an occasional rotten piece; or by rotten fruit with only the occasional fresh piece?

I think just as we are all unique and have different gifts (and sins) we all would have a different "first sign" of maturity. For me, I think it was seeing others through Jesus eyes in a non-judgmental way.


I agree with Kelly but if you've tripped by here before you know I have some other ideas to toss into the discussion. Kelly got me thinking about our fruit. In Galatians Apostle Paul tells us our fruit will exhibit these qualities that mark maturity as a Christian. May we all do a fruit check on ourselves: These are the traits of mature saints:
love * joy * peace * patience *kindness * goodness * faithfulness * gentleness * self-control

Immature fruit in nature is utterly unusable; so a Christian is limited in use until these maturity traits are operational. As I look over this list it seems I am developing these attributes in the order that St. Paul has listed them in Galatians. As Kelly mentioned, unconditional love filled my heart as soon as I was saved from my sins. In fact, on eating and a few other things I'm still pursuing "self-control."

One caution: our human nature draws us to become "fruit inspectors" of others. I find it's a fulltime job to inspect and maintain my own "fruit."

What do you say on "fruit" of saints?

3 comments:

Dorothy Champagne said...

I love the comment you made about immature fruit being unusable. If the fruit isn't ripe, we can't eat it. It's a daily check to make sure we're where we need to be. Good thinker!

Anonymous said...

immature fruit...i've never thought about that. But 'overripe' fruit can be just as bad!!

David

Kelly said...

Hi Kay! You are such a sweetie. I actually came by yesterday and read, but didn't have time to comment. Thank you for quoting me.

I love how you expanded on the comment. You are a neat lady and I am loving learning from you on your blog!

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.