Monday, February 2, 2009

Controlled Drip Writer

Words come easy for me, but I write with much struggle. As an avid reader I love great writing that is alive. When I am reading Christian works I feel robbed with "dead" words just lying on the paper or computer screen. Technical matters matter, but as a reader, I can manage poor technique over Holy Spirit void writing. So, I am hard on myself, the writer, to weave words for readers; and emptying myself to open up to God's words is still a longing for me.

I agree with "Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring in front of your keyboard or a blank sheet of paper until little drops of blood form on your forehead."
attributed to both Gene Fowler and Red Smith

For several days I've been sharing with you the questioning I am processing to make way for my streamlined living of excellence. Since God called me to write I am feeling frustrated with my clutter in my home, my schedule and my overall life.

I see myself, the writer, as a fountain pen. God's Hands write with Holy Spirit ink coming through me, His vessel. I am processing ways to clear out my life of clutter to be a clean, clear flowing fountain pen.

"Controlled drip" is a term I discovered in researching how fountain pens operate. I'm holding onto this term to keep me in good disciplined habits as I move forward in my new writing assignments. The questions I have offered on the blog this past week are my "cleaning out my chamber" tools as I am doing all I can to be a smooth flowing controlled drip in the Kingdom of God.

I read today that the heart of a fountain pen is the nib, the point through which the ink flows. If the nib is no good, it doesn't matter how fancy the rest of it is, it's not a good pen. Nibs can be scratchy if they're worn or misaligned. Saturday I drove two hours one way to a writers' workshop for some "nib" adjustment and polishing. What a wonderful surprise to discover the clear, workable, Biblical Christian enlightenment of Teresa Johnson's "Scribal Anointing."

I will elaborate on this great writer, teacher and spiritual mentor in days to follow. I have interrupted my focus series to explain why I am so intense on making adjustments immediately in my life. This workshop helped me to understand the urgency in terms of the Kingdom of God timing. Hang in here with me as I conclude my soul searching questions over the next few days. I will share some of my answers, but I truly am pulling on you readers to comment.

This fountain pen-Christian writer wants help in staying clean and clear with a polished aligned "nib." I desire to be God's controlled drip!!!

3 comments:

sailorcross said...

Oh, I can't wait to hear what you've learned at this conference!!

Just as I pray before I read the Bible for the Holy Spirit to open my eyes as to what I am to hear from what I am reading (and believe me--I've heard different things at different times from reading the same Scripture!), I pray before I write anything.

Then, God is my leader and critic in what has flowed out of my fingers.

Oh, clutter--since my son has moved in with me, I feel as though I am living in an eBay warehouse!! And though this is physical clutter and not clutter of my mind, it still bothers me!!

To rid myself of my mind clutter, I spent an afternoon with God yesterday--only God and me, my Bible and my journal. An afternoon of solitude. I plan on doing this at least once a month. Talking with God, reading His Word, journaling and feeling His presence within me--leading me and encouraging me.

Way too much mind clutter lately, I needed to give it all to God. And He has freed my thought processes so that they will flow in His direction.

Have a wonderful day, Kay!!

Beth

Dorothy Champagne said...

I would love some of your writing tips!!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Oh my dear Kay.....you are a "controlled drip" if I've ever met one! And I mean that in the most complimentary sense!

You're the best! Keep up the good work. And I agree with you about rather reading good Holy Spirit inspired reading that might have a few grammatical mistakes than something perfectly written but with no power. I guess our goal as writers is to have them both!

God bless you!

Marilyn

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.