Friday, January 2, 2009

Hear the Banner Whipping in the Wind?

This famous picture depicts the marines in World War II struggling after a long battle pushing a flag of the USA to show that they won the fierce battle.

BANNERS SHOW VICTORIES WON Psalm 20:5-9-"We will rejoice in your salvation, And in the name of our God we will set up our banners!"

I recall when I first learned this name of God: Jehovah Nissi. I looked back on tough times and saw how the Lord had worked through every tough battle and won it for ultimate good. In my mind I see banners set on top of those mountains and I see a white banner with a red cross and I "hear" those banners popping in the wind. No matter what struggle is before me (or all around me), I hold onto the vision of those victorious banners and I hear them pop in the wind.

I know 2009 is unknown in many ways for many of us. Yesterday I cautioned on looking back while you proceed forward, but there is merit in looking back and seeing the goodness of God in your life. King David encouraged himself recalling all the ways God blessed him. No matter what lies ahead God is with us. The battle is His and we need to be encouraged by that truth.

As soon as the banner is lifted up and unfurled in the face of the enemy, it seems to say, "Come on, do the worst you can. We do not fear your power. We defy you!" I hope that the sincerity of my heart comes through this post. I am empowered to fight when I see this image of a banner whipping in the wind. I consider this as one of my greatest spiritual warfare weapons.

When Jesus Christ is lifted up, we give defiance to the enemies of our Lord. I know I have no power over satan in myself, but his power has been forever destroyed by the cross of Christ. And we must defiantly hurl the Banner of his defeat in his face. Yet, the Lord Jesus, Jehovah-Nissi, the Lord our Banner, will assuredly draw sinners to himself (John 12:32).


I've said it before and I say it now: Just Give me Jesus: Jehovah-Nissi, the Lord my Banner!!!

2 comments:

sailorcross said...

Hi Kay!!

First, I want to thank you for your very kind comments on my blog today. That truly is the way I felt for many years, but not the past several years.

I know that Jesus is the answer to our smallest every day stresses. Just give me Jesus!! He's all we need!! With Jesus in our hearts, our minds, our souls--no matter what the situation--it will be turned into a positive by Him. We may not see the positive immediately, but God's plans and purposes are so much higher than our own.

After reading this, I felt like I should put a flag on top of my roof!! But, I can only imagine it--the apartment complex people don't like things like this!!

I have been tired, worn, drained. I wake up tired, I go to work tired. How easy it would be in this tired state to give in to the enemy for he knows our weaknesses.

My banner is flying high despite my fatigue which seems to be lasting way too long!

Beth

Joyfulsister said...

Victory is mine in 2009 !!!
I looked up the meaning of my name and it said..Lorie means Victorious.. Yes my banner of victory in 2009 is flying high.. Praise God!!

Hugz Lorie

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.