Monday, December 8, 2008

Peace That Passes All Understanding

When do you feel at peace with your world? I would love to hear each of you answer this question and I'm convinced there would be distinctly different responses to that question. But let me seek the experts and lay down some clear definitions of this word.

The dictionary defines "Peace" as a word conveying wonderful concepts
  • a. "a state of harmony, tranquility"

  • b. "the absence of hostility, the absence of mental stress or anxiety"

In the Bible, the word peace is used to translate

  • a. Shalom (Hebrew) - completeness, soundness, welfare, peace - BDB Hebrew Dictionary

  • b. Eirene (Greek) - often refers to the inner tranquility and poise of the Christian whose trust is in God through Christ - Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary

Peace is a quality and virtue that is sorely needed in the world and church today, for... despite poverty, abuse, sickness, death, and loneliness people still find peace. This is the peace Paul talks about in Philippians 4:7: "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Have you had this experience in your walk with God? I agree with Apostle Paul, this peace"passes all understanding," and it must be experienced; but cannot be explained.

When I am reaching out to a "seeker" of spiritual wholeness-salvation there comes a moment in the dialogue where I see that mystified look come in their eyes. They can sense I am telling the truth about my life in Christ and the unexplainable peace and joy I know continually. But they have never known anything like that in their lives. Years ago I would try to explain it....now I know I cannot explain it to them. But the genuine credibility they pick up in my speech, body language and the life I live transparently causes them to hunger for Jesus Christ. At that moment; where they know I have something they do not have; I become: salt and light. Salt always makes someone thirsty. My prayer when I see the "look" come on them is that Holy Spirit will increase their thirst for Jesus and they will "have to" find Him to quench their thirst.When the Holy Spirit takes up residence in us and rules our minds, thoughts, and desires, He produces peace and contentment in us.

Will you try to explain the unexplainable peace of God in your heart?

5 comments:

sailorcross said...

The unexplainable peace of God in my heart--knowing with full faith that whatever occurs in my life--every moment of the day--that God is in control--I am not.

Sometimes things come my way that I cannot explain--things that I want to wish away--never to have happened or happen again. Things from my past that creep up on me AGAIN--the replaying of the old tapes in my head.

And I replace these old tapes with videos of God's love for me--"Yes, you are loved; yes, you are worthy; yes, you are a wonder in my eyes; yes, you are a daughter of the KING; yes, I'm here--I'm in control of this situation-give it to me--let me take care of it for you; yes, you're not alone--I'm always here for you; you will never be alone again--no matter what.

I can't go on--there are many more but the tears are blurring my vision.

Great posts, Kay!!

Beth

Red Letter Believers said...

I think you have hit the nail on the head (again).

The world doesnt neeed more knowledge about our faith -- they need to hear about peace.

and what better time of uear to talk about this than Christmas and our Prince of Peace who comes to save the world.

David

God's girl said...

Great question! I am not sure how to explain the unexplainable peace except that everything is just alright despite the circumstances. You just know you are in His hands.

Peace to me is the absence of dissention. That is what I am praying for and working toward right now with my children. Your post helped me realize that is what is wrong with me now. My stress is coming from their discord with one another.
MUch love,
Angela

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

That's a toughie! Especially right now because I don't have a ton of peace in my heart.......at the moment. Eternal peace? Yes! In the moment peace? No! =) It will come though.....through every doubt and fear peace always come. I just have to expect it!

Dorothy Champagne said...

Most of the time, when struggles come, I am worrying and fretting on the inside but trying to do what I know God calls us to do on the outside. Here is an example of a time when I knew true peace: A few years back, we had just gotten our income tax back (we live pay to pay) and decided to go up north to New York with the kids and 'do the town'. Visit his grandmother in Albany and then drive to Kentucky to see my parents. On the way home, after our week long - blow our whole income tax - trip, my husband gets a call from his boss. He's being let go. They are downsizing and he would have one month to find a new job. Now, we had just bought a new house three months before - have four children and all the bills that come along with that. But we both had a peace about it. In fact, we were both looking to what great thing God had in store for us. My husband had loved that job - and knowing that it was being taken from him, meant that God had something even better planned. Within two weeks, he had a new job with a 30% increase in pay with travel and cheaper benefits. Anyway, I've gone on too long, that was just one example of a time when we had true peace. Good question.

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.