Friday, November 28, 2008

Relax God Is Still In Control


In crisis we Christians need to continually recall Who is in charge of this country, this world, all things: God. A little time with the daily news reporting the latest "pink slip" announcement and what the experts predict for the near future can shatter the strongest saint's foundation.

Thanksgiving was delicious and calm for my family. All of us have secure situations for the present. But we all shared concerns for people close to us knowing their jobs are phasing out or their small businesses may not make it.

So, today my heart is identifying with those folks. You would think a physician never has to be concerned about such things. But I remember many years ago my husband had too many Medicare patients proportionately in his family practice, and we were very concerned how we would make it. I've been involved in marketing for many years. Together we developed some educational workshops and the result attracted many younger patients. Eventually my husband's office was in great shape and stayed that way until he became ill.

I remember that frightening time. It was like I couldn't breathe deeply and my back felt bogged down. During that time I found I had to continually fix my mind on God. I had to see Him as sovereign power over all things and He loved me and my family. The doomsday fear thoughts would try to worm in and destroy my peace.

One of the greatest writers on this subject was Jonathan Edwards. In 1723 he developed resolutions to keep his mind focused on this truth. For the next few weeks I will give some of these resolutions each day. Bear in mind, Edwards affirmed these each week of his life. No wonder he died as president of Princeton University after writing many books and serving as pastor of several churches.

"RESOLUTIONS of Jonathan Edwards BEING SENSIBLE THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT GOD' S HELP, I DO HUMBLY ENTREAT HIM BY HIS GRACE TO ENABLE ME TO KEEP THESE RESOLUTIONS, SO FAR AS THEY ARE AGREEABLE TO HIS WILL, FOR CHRIST' S SAKE.

Remember to read over these Resolutions once a week.

1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God' s glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence.

Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general.

Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many soever, and how great soever. "

I love this closing..."how many soever, and how great soever." Oh, yes, Dr. Edwards, I know some soevers and some of mine have been great soevers.

Got any thoughts on this first resolution? Got any "soevers?"


1 comment:

Kelly said...

Well, he is obviously much smarter than I am. Not only in his resolutions, but in use of the English language. I like simple talked.

How about WHATEVERS instead of soevers. I have a lot of whatevers that get in my way. I need to say WHATEVER! to my whatevers and keep doing what good wants me to do.

Have a great day, Kay!

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.