Sunday, October 19, 2008

Value of Men and Women is Beyond Possessions


"You are more than your house," comforted the foreclosure clinic leader. As I volunteered in my computer cubicle I overheard one side of this conversation with a distraught homeowner losing their home after all efforts had failed to salvage the mortgage before the house hit the selling block. The counselor spent some time convincing the homeowner that her value in Christ was far more than anything connected with this financial failure.

Today I heard on the news that 1 in 7 homeowners is at risk of foreclosure in the U.S.

Isn't it time for God's compassion to shine out from Christians now?

My empathy increased greatly for people hit by this financial storm when some funds had not arrived at a new company for my retirement setup. I spent two days tracking down the reason for the delay in the transfer. Those days of not knowing were frightening. I had a tiny pinch of what so many in our land are going through. Finally I found all was well.


The woman representing the former account's insurance company was kind. I could hear the fatigue in her voice. I can only imagine what a day of work could be for her with so many of us fighting fear. I expressed my concern for her and others in her line of work. She sighed and said it was very difficult. She mentioned her best friend was going through a foreclosure. I told her I was a Christian and our church is offering financial counseling at no fee. I told her how the leaders help the people see that they are more valuable than their possessions. She spent five minutes probing me on ways she can encourage her friend through this shameful foreclosure process.


That's just two instances I have encountered in the last week. I'm now most careful with sharing my opinion in a group. I would never want my casual words to be overheard and stab a new wound in someone going through a foreclosure, bankruptcy or financial crisis.


In one small European village was a town square that held a special statue.

This statue was the pride and joy of the small town, but World War II arrived and soon the bombs began falling on the town. One day the statue was hit and blown to pieces. The residents collected all the shattered pieces and slowly did what they could to re-create it.

When they finished the reconstruction of their beloved statue of Jesus, they noticed that the only pieces missing were the hands of Jesus. So they placed a plaque at the base of the statue with the words:


Now we are the only hands that Jesus has.

Christian counselors tell me that "being there" with a warm heart and a listening ear is helpful and comforting and healing beyond what we can imagine. I've had Christian friends come to me when I was hurting. Their presence, their love and their assurance that I wasn't losing my mind meant everything to me. Having them praying for me was the key to my recovering in Christ.


Now....what do you say?

Is this a new day for Christians in this new financial place?

How can we be hands of Jesus' Body?

If you are hurting; what can we do that will show you your value?

2 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Kay....I so admire what you and your church are doing. I know God must be so pleased with you for stepping out and doing all you do! I pray God will give you special blessings....just when you need them most!

Love ya!

Marilyn

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Kay..
What a blessing that your church would offer a service like that. I know this is time when people will be searching for answers to peace, from fear and worry due to all that is happening with the economy. The time for witnessing is open right now and I pray that we as Christians will be able to show the Love and compassion that is so needed to so many hurting right now. I was watching CNN and saw the Repo man taking cars away from single moms who now have no idea how they will take their childrebn back and forth to school or Doctors Appointments.My heart just went out to them, some just could not even cry or say anything. Thanks for this reminder to be sensative to those who really need a message of hope.

Hugz Lorie

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.