Sometimes I take my eyes off of Jesus and His light dims. But He will work with me to bring truth in place of lies, hope instead of despair and wholeness rather than brokenness.
The greatest news is that with Jesus within me; I can bring His light into others' darkness. They don't have to grope helplessly. With this thought of shining warm light in a cold dark place I will mention basic needs of everyone. When these are assaulted or not being met "darkness" covers a person's mind.
Theologians and behavior specialist seem to agree that all people need: security, identity, belonging, purpose, and competence.
Let's expand this a bit to see how we can be vessels of God's light to serve others:
- Love and connection: to feel love from and for, and connection with others and the need to bond; feel oneness with both others and yourself.
- Significance: need to feel that you have meaning to others; you are unique, special and important.
- Certainty or Comfort: need for the feeling that everything is settled, secure with no unpleasant surprises or crises around the corner
- Uncertainty or Variety: precise opposite of above and potentially in conflicting with the need for certainty is the need to feel that life is interesting, adventurous, diverse, exciting and challenging.
- Growth: need for the feeling that we are growing, intellectually, spiritually and physically. To become better, to improve one's skills, to stretch and to excel.
- Contribution: Need to feel that we are giving of ourselves.