Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fun Friday: Self Defense Aunt Eunice Style


"Saturday "going to town" day means you've got to be ready for anything!" Back a few weeks ago I shared a fun time with my aunt Eunice (Fun Friday Oops! Laugh & Thrive ). Every Saturday Aunt Eunice, her husband and I traveled ten miles to "town." Our town was very much like Mayberry in the Andy Griffin show. Working hard all week on the farm it was an exciting treat to get dressed up and go to town.

Aunt Eunice made a big production of dressing up with hat, gloves and her Sunday best outfit. She always carried a large purse to match her shoes. Just as we would get ready to leave she would put a huge bottle of milk of magnesia in this purse. One day I asked her if she had serious stomach trouble.

Aunt Eunice was indignant at my question. She cleared her throat and explained to me, "No, I don't have any health problems. You never know who might give you trouble in town. Let somebody try to mess with us and I'll....." She whirled that Milk of Magnesia padded lethal weapon pocket book as if to whack a criminal over the head.

My mouth was gaping open. I had lived in Miami for four years and of course, I saw our little town as utterly peaceful. I nodded with puzzlement. She went back to the mirror to be sure her outfit was in order after her self defense demonstration. A tilt of the hat, a tug of her suit skirt and a second glance of her full view and we were off to the adventure of "town!!!"

I love recalling Aunt Eunice scenarios. May you remember funny moments and do yourself a favor: laugh. Thriving is promoted with good laughter. Thank God for the lively people like Aunt Eunice that make the ordinary extraordinary.

2 comments:

Joyfulsister said...

LOL.. Aunt Eunice sound just like someone I know back here at home, I always wondered this older woman used to carry around so many keys on her keychain. One day I asked her if every key that she had on her keychain was used for something, she said..
Lorie, out of all the gazillons keys on this keychain only four is what I need, the rest belongs to that person who ever tries to attack me!!

Hugz Lorie

Pinkshoelady said...

Wow!

I loved that! Your Aunt Eunice reminds me of my Aunt Hallie.

When she was first married They lived with her in-laws. Her father-in law was bad to drink. One night he came home and started wailing on Aunt Hallie's husband. Before that man could holler "help," Aunt Hallie was holding him up against the wall with one hand and a butcher knife against his throat with the other, telling him that he had better not ever come near her or her husband drunk again! He never did!

Got to love them tough old southern women!

Pamela

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.