Saturday, August 9, 2008

Smile The World Looks Better When You Do

Smile....the world looks better to you....and you look better to the world, when you smile.

During mid-week service at church the other week I noticed some new people in our sanctuary. After introducing myself they shared that they had driven 4 hours to attend our services. They had been impressed with our church on the tv service they had been watching. We're a BIG church with over 10,000 in worship every Sunday morning.

I told them to expect to experience the presence of the Lord and to expect to enjoy themselves.

A good friend hugged me and told them to expect to have plenty of fun as well as discover deep and wonderful things about our Lord. Then some other folks gathered around together before the service began. I surveyed our group and chuckled.

We represented 3 different races and a great diversity of ages and dress.

This very diversity was what caught my eye when I saw a service on television. I drive 45 minutes one way to be a part of this wonderful body of Christ. Down here in the deep South this is the only church I have found that you cannot say we are a "white" or "black" or any other race church. Gas prices rising and I just pray for the Lord to provide. Until the Holy Spirit moves on some Chrsitians in my town to come together in all colors and social status I will keep on driving to be a part of this beautiful work of God.

My hope is that worship in America will never be of one race. I dream of a day where there is no white, black, Hispanic, etc. church. May we be the Body of Jesus Christ!!!

We did laugh, we sang, we jumped and we cried in that service. I looked back at my new "sisters" and "brothers" in Christ and they were jubilant.

I find myself wondering if this race issue in church could be a piece of the "deadness" and lack of joy in some churches. Our church could never be called "dead". We have 100+ hands on ministry in the community and internationally. Laughter and smiling are a natural part of life among the members of my church. We are wide open to becoming Chrisitans God can trust with His best.

I love God's church and I am praying for all churches to thrive and be so full of the Spirit of God that people will recognize us all by the zip to our step, the smile of joy on our faces and the compassion of our merciful hearts.

Smile ....it's good for you. Looking at you is easier when you smile.

3 comments:

Joyful said...

Hi Kay. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such an encouraging comment.

Really enjoyed your thoughts here. It reminded me of another blog post I read this morning - over at my friend Elaine's blog (Peace for the Journey http://peaceforthejourney.blogspot.com/2008/08/raising-faith-part-eight-embracing-your.html). You might like to take a peek!

Smiling today,
Joy

Anonymous said...

Oh Kay -- what a beautiful picture of God's family. I must tell you when I read a church of 10,000 I almost fell out of my chair. We're in a church that averages about 450 in service and I find it hard to get to know many people because of the size. (We came from a church of about 175 -- big difference).

What a blessing you are! And so incredibly open to God's calling.

May He continue to bless and lead you.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Kay..
Please come to my blog I have two awards for you.

Hugz Lorie

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.