Thursday, July 17, 2008

Danger: Moved By Blame or Praise

"If the praise of others elates me, or if the blame of others depresses me, then I know nothing of Calvary's love." Amy Carmichael

In 22 words Amy has summed up my toughest struggles as a Christian. I love people. Rarely do I find someone that I do not find fascinating. That is a good thing, but being such a people-loving person, I can strive to win the favor of folks. I fall into the danger Amy is pointing to in this statement..."If the praise of others elates me...". I make poor choices that are expensive, trying to win others' praise.


When God calls me to do the "right" thing, I hesitate trying to avoid the blame of others. I say "yes," when I know I should decline opportunities. Even when I do the hard, right thing; I sometimes fall into depression with others' blames.

After many falls forward, I am more alert and aware to be led by Holy Spirit in my decisions and living. Oh, I pray for words to encourage all of us to be In Christ so fully that we will not be moved from God's prompting and calling.

I've taken praise and had far too high an opinion of myself. Scripture repeatedly warns me of a sure fall when I exalt myself. I can testify to the pain of the fall from perching on my self-made pedestals.

Regretably "Somesay" has pressured me to disobey the call of God. In fear of what some might say, I have totally and partially failed the unctions of Holy Spirit.

I work with many Christian business people that struggle with their faith in the secular marketplace, that is moved primarily by profit, at all costs. I pray for Christian friends struggling with all of these scenarios:


  • Nurses and doctors who have difficulty finding work where they do not contribute to abortions


  • School superintendents and officials with strong Biblical convictions on homosexuality, who are being pressured to sponsor gay clubs in their schools


  • Married people who vowed to covenant in marriage unto death with unfaithful spouses


  • Parents of prodigal children who must stand in tough love to not enable destructive addiction lifestyles


  • Pastors and church leaders pressured to dilute the messages of their sermons


  • Business people pushed to lie/slant the truth and engage in ruthless measures to over-run competitors


  • Workers pressured to work long hours with little time for their families or churches


Here are a few Scriptures that I have prayed over these commited warriors:


"God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
2 Timothy 1:7


"People who know their God will display their strength." Dan 11:32

"The one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4


Praise or Blame to not move us...we are moved by Almighty God!!!

We are moved by Calvary's Love

To Him, only, we give glory.


Holy, Holy, Holy

No comments:

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.