Saturday, June 28, 2008

Read Instructions Before Using....

Summer's Here: Sandals & Sundresses

Summertime for women is time consuming. We have to budget in pedicures so that our toenails look good peeking out of our sandals. Then we have to be sure our legs are smooth and shaven every day for summer fashions. Yep, summertime takes extra time for grooming. Thriving, for me, is getting the most out of every day I can.

Every summer I have to laugh remembering when I discovered hair removing wax. Wow...heat it up, spread it on and rip it off. My legs looked great for weeks and I was saving time. My thought was "Why stop with my legs?" I realized I could really save time by using it on my arm pits. I heated that wax up, and slapped it all over my arm pits. I let it cool. But when I tried to get a grip on pulling the cooled wax off, nothing happened. The soft tissue of my arm pit just held the goop and wouldn't give it up.

"Oh," I muttered, " Maybe I should look at the product instruction sheet." You guessed it. There it was in bold underlined letters: NEVER APPLY THIS PRODUCT TO ARM PITS. IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE. IT WILL TAKE WEEKS TO WEAR OFF.

I'm thinking impossible is too strong a word. Well, hours later after showering with the hottest water I could tolerate, pouring everything I could think of on my poor tortured wax dripping pits, I gave up.

For weeks I lived with that goop on my arm pits. In talking with friends I would forget and let my arm fall against my body. When I would raise my arm I would scream out in pain. Puzzled folks would look worried, but my daughter would snarl, "Don't mind Mom. It's just her leg wax in her arm pits sticking her together. She's fine." The whole family became so accustomed to my screaming, that they paid it no attention.

Wish I could say that this wax saga was my only catastrophic incident caused by my failure to read instructions before jumping into action. Actually I have been guilty of maneuvering life's trails without ever looking at "maps" or the main Instructions: The Bible. Then, I would find myself all messed and hurting from the needless mishaps. Hope I can remember that pain from such impatience. I do want to read the "instructions" first before moving into action.

Yep, summertime always brings me vivid memories of leg wax on arm pits.

4 comments:

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I thought this was a very funny post but I am sorry it happened to you one summer.

You are so right, if we neglect to read the Bible, regarding our lives we will make big mistakes that only God can get us out of. I am so Glad that He is the GOd of grace.

God's girl said...

ha ha ha! You had me rolling. That is a good post. How often do we try to walk this path out we call life and not even seek the instruction manual. Great post.

I also wanted to invite you to a pilot Bible study I am doing at my blog. No pressure just pray about it and let me know if interested.
Much love,
Angela

Mary R Snyder said...

Kay -- oh my, you just had me rolling!! It also brought back memories of the Epi-Lady (another hair removal product) and I did read the directions, it was just so stinking painful!!
I love this post

Rachel Olsen said...

I love your sense of humor!

Mental note: Never way my pits - Got it!

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.