Sunday, May 11, 2008

Live & Thrive Quotes Emerson & Churchill

Some days thriving is not what seems possible. This is one of those days. When stumped I am one to read and hope for a thread of wisdom to pull me back on track.

Today Ralph Waldo Emerson inspired me with:

"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded."

I am in the dumps and I had to stretch to see that I have one of all the above. Yes, I agree I am succeeding and I am thriving; even if pain is part of that journey.

Now, Winston Churchill is one my favorite "wordsmiths," so I have read much of his writings and speeches. This little quote eluded me until now, "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

I'm having to pull myself up by my bootstraps to find my enthusiasm today. I'm usually the one with zip and fire, but grief and some other downers have pushed me to want to withdraw and be very still and sober. I have held onto Churchill's ever famous line, "Never, never quit..." Seeing and focusing on my enthusiasm for life is inside me; and I am deciding right now to keep on keeping on in my choices to be about expressing it on and on.

Thrive or just getting through one more day is a mindset. I'm setting my mind on thriving no matter what.

No comments:

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.