Monday, May 5, 2008

Pain Lessons and Abundant Living



Heartbreak is a crushing pain. A young friend just phoned to share his pain of breaking up with someone he had hoped to marry. C.S. Lewis' teachings on God's classroom of pain came to my mind as I heard my friend lament his anquish. Lewis maintained that some lessons can only be learned in pain. I am convinced that none of our pain is wasted in lives totally surrendered to Jesus Christ. When I'm pierced by pain there are two key questions I cry out to God:
1. What do You want me to learn?
2. What do You desire for me to do with my newly found wisdom and understanding?

I encouraged my friend to hold on and remember that this pain will pass. Pain is not a destination, but a place to pass through.

Pain doesn't line up with our American "be happy" concept of life. But when we read the Bible we soon discover that God calls us to significant living far more significant that personal convenience and happiness. Keeping us "happy and pain-free" is not the object of the Kingdom of God. Joy and peace that passes all understanding is our promise. Participating with God in eternal works that will never die is the amazing privileges of being one with Christ. When we look at Jesus' pain in His life we must realize that this extraordinary journey with Christ will have some pain. Throughout the Bible God's greatest heroes endured great pain and hardship as they developed into the giants of the faith. Thriving Christianity is the focus of this blog. Even if pain is necessary to thrive and live abundantly would any of us want less in life?

To any readers, please know I want to hear how you thrive in your Christian life. If you desire to thrive, but feel like you're just dragging through your days, I need to hear from you also.

My hope is that we all grab the adventure Jesus Christ has secured for us and LIVE.

No comments:

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.