Sunday, July 26, 2009

Out of Work in 2009


Last Friday I encountered three young men who had much in common. They were under 40, bright, considerate, intelligent, educated, attractive and each of them would be positive members of any company or staff. BUT....big but....they were looking for meaningful job placement. In 2009 I am seeing the most unlikely people pushed out of jobs and careers.

I don't have any great insight concerning this situation in our topsy turvy
economy. But I do have personal experience of having my world erupt with no meaning. I can still recall that first night when life kicked me in the stomach and knocked the breath out of me. So, as an old woman concerned with these young men and others in that strange place when life falls off its tracks I offer what got me through that dark time.

1. If you don't know God personally, cry out to Him. If Bible reading is not your daily diet, begin by reading the Psalms out loud. Dare to read the book of John and Romans. Challenge God in your prayers to show you Who He is to you.

2. Once you know who you are in Christ everything takes on a totally new perspective. Even your crisis pales compared to life in Him.

3. Open up to God to show you what He will do in your present circumstance. I daily ask Him, "What will please You today, Lord? That is my supreme desire; to please You." That could sound as though I am a sacrificing martyr. No, I have discovered my most fulfilling, thriving, and fun filled life comes about when I get into that place of hearing God and obeying Him to the point that He is pleased.

4. Find joy and laughter wherever it shows up. Laugh out loud every moment that you can. The rx that healed so many of my ails lies in that one truth. I even rent movies that make me laugh when times get dark. I
have a specific group of
dvd's and books that can bring me to chuckles.

5. If you are out of work and have time on your hands find a way to spend yourself helping others. Time spent focusing on yourself will make you sick. God has an amazing way of networking His people when they are pouring out in service to others.

6. Trust me on this one....this crisis will pass. Nothing lasts forever. This won't either. I don't know what America and the world will look like when all the dust settles from this economic shift, but God is changeless. I know we who look to Him will have what really matters: peace, acceptance, hope, faith and most of all love.

7. Love is the most important part of living. The longer I live I know this to be true. I pray daily to receive the Lord's love....only out of His love filling me
will I have love to pour onto others. Paul spoke ultimate truth in I Corinthians 13....without love everything we say and do is like a clanging cymbal....redundant chatter and noise.

2009 has many out of work who did all the right things in their youth to prepare to never be laid off. It's not fair. You're right. The Bible doesn't promise us life will be fair. The Bible promises us abundant life and victory in what matters; now and eternally. There is no one who can fill your vacuum when life kicks the air out of you....But God. Seek Him. He never, never, never denie
s anyone who sincerely calls out to Him.

2009 is challenging, but for some hard heads like me (I didn't come gently to the Lord, I only came when nothing else would work) 2009 may be the year that is personally the most wonderful year of your life. 2009 may break down every
scaffolding that's been holding you up on your own. Leaning on the Lord and living life wide open in Him is the greatest life ever!!!

Jesus Christ is Lord

2 comments:

Patrick Greer said...

Kay, Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I have been going through some difficult times recently and need to hear them. Would love to share with you some recent trials and tribulations but also how God is using me in the midst of one my darkest time to shine his light for others and to bow in humbleness. I can't find your current contact info anywhere, all I have is a PNC e-mail address and I'm not sure if you are connected with them now. If possible can you contact me? I have the same contact info - e-mail address anyway.

Red Letter Believers said...

Kay

you have given some very insightful comments to people who are hurting by the millions. With unemployment nearing 10 percent with no end in sight, this will be THE mission field o f the church for many years...and you have given all of us a great primer on what to say...
Thank you
David

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.