Saturday, April 4, 2009

Trust Related to Meekness

Talking about meekness has opened many of you to share your struggles as Christians to be teachable and workable. As I read your comments I thought of "trouble" at home or in church or at work. Relationships break under the pressure of the unteachable, arrogant, self-protective mindsets.

Since all of us know these truths why do we keep stiffing up to be sure we always look good and blameless? Why do we keep ourselves foremost in our own minds?

As I prayed about this I felt my problem is my lack of full trust in God. When I know that I know beyond any doubts that He is with me and the battle is His; I can lay down my personal needs for His Kingdom and the good of others.

Sometimes it seems impossible not to look out for no. 1. One day last week a friend was devastated with a job loss and dire money needs. She phoned sobbing on the phone. I was undone. I think I scored a D as far as being an encouraging prayer warrior. Alone I prayed and a puzzling thought kept coming to me as though God was saying "Will any of you ever trust Me?"

Later as I prayed for this friend I sensed that I needed to believe God would meet her needs. I felt I needed to be careful from falling into any judgment of what I might think she could have done better. I also began to feel guilty for my own new job and how much I am enjoying the challenge and the pay. Somehow I felt she needed it more than I did. Up and down my emotions went like a yo yo on a string.

She phoned in a day with a lift to her voice. Miraculously they called her back to the job, and in the few days she was out of work another company called her for a one day job. Everything was better than could be expected. Suddenly the thoughts of my prayer came back to me, "Will any of you ever trust Me?"

Why do we quickly fall into despair when trouble hits? Why do we have so little trust that God is with us? Why do we panic and feel hopeless when it appears all is lost? Is it that we don't believe Heaven can make a difference in this harsh cold world?

When Jesus Christ is number 1; we are submissive to the leading of the Holy Spirit and strong gentleness could best describe us. Then...

We shine hope where there may not be any visible evidence for hope.

We don't have to be right.

We never need to shift blame when we err.

Others' needs matter as much as our needs.

Pleasing God by living out what we "see" from the Bible sets our day.

Love is the core of our life.

Being seen, heard or known takes a backseat to Jesus being seen, heard and known.

Meekness/teachable living is impossible for mere humans. I strongly believe we may only cry out for God to crucify our flesh and then when we abide in the Presence of God. As we live continually in Him, we can be like a great powerful horse. A neck rein trained horse will respond to a slight touch of a rein on their neck and their power is never wasted. They never break loose in destruction and racing randomly. Imagine if we die to self and come alive in Him how our talents and strengths will bring His Kingdom here on earth now.

Getting to meekness costs us the pain of letting go of self mastery. I'm not there, but I'm willing. My mastery and control of me doesn't work. I trust Him. I choose to believe His Word: Isaiah 41:13 "For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."

At times, I tend to be afraid to let go. When I let go, I'm giving up control. I don't like feeling a loss of control. But I finally get it: I never am truly in control at all; otherwise, I wouldn't be struggling and worrying without progress. I must remember He is God! He gives me peace: Jeremiah 32:27 "I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?"


In God We Trust

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Kay,
This really made me think: "Why do we quickly fall into despair when trouble hits? Why do we have so little trust that God is with us? Why do we panic and feel hopeless when it appears all is lost? Is it that we don't believe Heaven can make a difference in this harsh cold world"

I do want to always remember that God is God!

Thanks,
Marilyn

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.