Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Been Called Narrow-Minded Because Of Jesus?

Have you proclaimed, "Jesus Is Lord?" That might cost you greatly. Today I read my daily devotion from The High Calling email that I usually read to start the day. When I finished I realized I had to forward it on to you, reader.


Mark Roberts of Laity Lodge has written a rich piece here to shake us and wake us up to what it means to live out our faith in every group we encounter. (Website address is at the end of this blog.)

Recommended Scripture Reading: Romans 10:1-13



If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. The High Calling Daily Reflection Daily Reflectionby Mark D. RobertsLaity Lodge Senior Director and Scholar-in-ResidenceJesus Is Lord [Romans 10:9]
I want to linger for one more day on Romans 10:9 because it speaks incisively to one of the major challenges we face as Christians today, especially as we seek to live out our faith in daily life. In our culture, confessing Jesus as Lord can get us in a bit of trouble. It’s politically incorrect to be so "arrogant" and "narrow-minded" as to suggest that Jesus is the Lord of heaven and earth. We might get away with acknowledging Jesus as our personal Lord, as long as he didn’t require us to break our cultural norms. But to suggest that Jesus is the Lord of all is unacceptable.
Yet this is nothing new.

In fact, the Roman Christians (to whom Paul was writing the letter we’ve been studying) literally put their lives on the line when confessing Jesus to be Lord. By the second half of the first century A.D., the Roman emperors claimed the title of Lord for themselves. Thus to say "Jesus is Lord" was to deny the claim "Caesar is Lord." For this, Christians could be put to death, and many were in the first centuries of the Christian era.



The most powerful way for us to testify to the Lordship of Jesus is by living each day according to his will and for his glory. When we are people of truth, compassion, forgiveness, humility, and love, those around us will be drawn to the Lord who makes such living possible. Only when we live with Jesus as our Lord will our world be ready to hear our confession of Jesus as Lord.

QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION:
  • Have you ever found it awkward to speak of Jesus as Lord? When?
  • In what ways does your daily life demonstrate the Lordship of Jesus?

    PRAYER:Gracious, living, reigning Lord, in many ways, this world is not ready to accept your Lordship, even though it so desperately needs it. You have called me to be one voice among many bearing witness that you are Lord. Yet in a world so resistant to your Lordship, my testimony will fall on deaf ears unless my life illustrates the blessings of confessing you as Lord. So help me, I pray, to live each day under your Lordship. May my life be a reflection of your grace, mercy, truth, and love.

As I pray for myself, I also pray for your church. So often we are seen in our hypocrisy, judgmentalism, and self-absorption. No wonder the world is resistant to your Lordship! Help your church, dear Lord, to live faithfully under your sovereignty. May our way of being in the world draw people to you and proclaim in deed as well as word: "Jesus is Lord." Amen.

Mission of TheHighCalling.org: They seek to connect people with the faith that undergirds and sustains all that we do. That’s why it is the high calling of our daily work. Daily work embraces all aspects and activities of daily life—including home, community, leisure, as well as occupation

http://www.thehighcalling.org/AboutUs/Index.asp

2 comments:

Dorothy Champagne said...

Your "Questions For Reflection" are ones that I face on a daily basis. Finding it awkward to speak of Jesus as Lord is not so much that it may or may not be true to the person you're talking to, but that to profess it in such a way as to turn the person off and perhaps lose the chance to witness to that person. Jesus didn't walk around shouting "I am Lord, Come and bow before Me". He showed others who He was by His actions - and so should we. Good thoughts to ponder.

sailorcross said...

I, too, face this every day. I WANT to be a more effective witness, but like Dorothy, I have certain people (my children) that would totally turn off their hearing and close their minds if I were to SPEAK the words "JESUS IS LORD" to them.

So, instead, I MUST show them through my daily actions towards them. This has been a particularly difficult week for me in regards to one child who is undergoing some turmoil related to our past--his growing up years--all of this coming back and I am receiving the fall out.

Makes me wonder if he thinks that I wasn't there during all of this also? Doesn't he realize that I have been hurt and then HEALED from this? Can he not see this?

So, a bit of introspection going on with me--maybe I'm not showing him God's love as I should--maybe there is some different way that I am to go about this--praying, praying, praying for the answers.

Beth

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.