Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Get Over Yourself

Recently I overheard two teens talking. One disgustedly said to the other, "Oh, just get over yourself!" How many times have I wanted to say this to pompous Christian speakers or leaders! Today is another tribute to some great qualities I see in Theresa Harvard Johnson, head of Voices in Christ creative ministries. The first post of this series: Legacy of Faith In My Family

Theresa is so in Christ, she is totally over herself. After her workshop a few weeks ago, I shared with a friend from Ohio that Theresa was very much like an evangelist we both loved, Evangelist Althea Marion. Unfortunately, Evangelist Marion died a decade ago. In moments he said "I can arrange to be down there with a few days notice. When I can I meet her?" All I told him was that Theresa ministered the most like Althea of anyone I've met. Wow! What a testimony of Althea!


So what did this woman show me that was so distinctive in this information age with thousands of Christian leaders and voices on TV, the internet, on CD, in DVD's ? I must say she was utterly unmasked, real and yet kind, strong, relevant and informative while pointing to Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, Father God and the Bible.



I'm calling out to God to know how I can be sure I'm over myself. May we explore being real, unmasked, in Christ and confident in all God promises to be in and through us by His Word: the Bible.

Mirror Check Before Meeting The Day
Mask Check: ever-varying, ever-concealing mask,
Must cover my real thoughts of fear and hurt,
Can't let others see "Me," or they'll drop me.


Everyone else seems so together,
No matter what, I gotta' look
Cool, calm, cheery and comfortable.
Can't let them see"Me," or they'll fire me.

Pretending is now second nature for me,
Won't someone hear what I'm not saying?
I know I look like Cool Confident Class;
Can't let them hear "Me," or they'll never call again.


Don't be fooled by this mask,
I have hundreds of masks,
None of them are "Me,"
For God's sake see this is a mask,
Surprise me with daring to see "Me,"
And show me you'll love the scarred "Me."


copyright 2009 Kay Martin

In Theresa I see St. Paul's epistle come to life:

"Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech...unlike Moses, who put veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away." 2 Corinthians 3:12-13. (Another translation reads, "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.").

Heavenly Father,

Help me know who I am in Christ. Lord, I want to get over myself. I want to look to You, above all. When my eyes are on You; I dare to be me, warts and all, and in that reality is Your freedom. I have searched Your Word and after Pentecost everything You write is written to us together with one another in You. Teach me how to call out for help. Teach me how to partner with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Tune my heart to others and may I see them...the real man or woman, even if they still don their masks. Show us how to thrive in You.

In Jesus name,
Amen




















3 comments:

Dorothy Champagne said...

For some reason, the prayer of Jabez came to mind when I was reading this - let Your glory come and broaden my territory to reach others for You.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

OH Kay, I needed this so bad today. I have faced two major rejections this week that have have left me so down. In tears right now. But I need to do just this "Get over myself". I praise God for what He is doing through your life. Much love.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to get over myself. I think that sums up what I've been trying to figure out for quite some time now.
I thought to myself that I was having trouble remembering or finding my voice for my blog. When in fact, I'm trying to find me, this NEW me still. But, I'm still masked, unintentionally.

My mother told me just today, that "when we march to a different drummer, it's probably because we hear different music--and I really like the song you sing now." Am I becoming unmasked to those around me, yet still masked to myself?

I don't know the answer to that. It's frustrating and challenging and just a BLAST trying to figure this all out.

I know I rambled a bit there, but it just sorta flooded out :)

Thanks Kay!

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.