Thursday, October 16, 2008

If They Don't Know What A Camel Is; They'll Never Get the Story


Jesus Loves Me has become my "go to" resource in ministry when all else fails. This hymn is my choice when all is well, but when things start going wrong it is my lifeline.

I discovered the power of this hymn one Christmas season when an evangelist asked me to assist her with a Christmas dinner and toys for children in a distressed area at an apartment complex. Seems this dinner and toys were to be the only Christmas these families would have for the season. We cooked, we decorated and did all we could to turn the apartment activity room into a festive place. The people started coming in and so many came that we had standing room only.

With no warning the evangelist asked me to tell the Christmas story using the nativity scene. I love to speak in an interactive way so I held up a camel and asked the children, "Can anyone tell me what this is?" The children looked at me with blank faces and no one had a clue what I was holding in my hand. I went through a few more of the animal figurines and gasped. Looking outside at the asphalt and chain link fence environment I realized talking about animals didn't happen much around here.

I shifted gears and asked everyone to join with me in singing my favorite Christian song. "When we get to the part about "Jesus" know that this little baby represents Jesus in the song when He came to earth." I started singing and everyone (around 70 people) sang with me. Everyone knew every word of "Jesus Loves Me, This I know..." Then we prayed and the party began. Little children came up to me wanting to know all about the nativity scene. It was a beautiful night and if this was their only Christmas dinner, it was delicious and the Lord's presence filled that place.

Later I prayed about what I had witnessed in that activity room. Most of the people were unchurched. Many of them had gotten involved in much mischief trying to address their desperate poverty issues and extremely hard life. I kept thinking about how they seemed to know nothing about the Bible, Christianity and Jesus ... but they all knew the song, Jesus Loves Me. I'm convinced that babies of all levels of society are rocked in the arms of saints that softly sing "Jesus Loves Me." and those babies grow up knowing that hymn.

Amazing Grace is so often used in secular films and TV shows that most people know the tune and words to that wonderful hymn. Now, I am finding Jesus Loves Me is known by everyone also. May we never forget that God reigns. As a society we may legislate that vocal prayer is not to be spoken in school. It may seem that only a few of us care about the Kingdom of God. Do not give up. God will keep His Word alive in ways that go under the "radar," and I believe babies rocked to the tune of Jesus Loves Me might be one of His measures.

I've loved taking you bloggers down my "Jesus Loves Me" trail. My files hold hundreds of pages on this song. Recently a book was published around the stories surrounding Jesus Loves Me. Please hold onto the initial message of this series showing miracles in a financial meltdown. Anna Warner cried out to God for monetary help. Her heart was pure and she asked for a song. She was trained, equipped, and willing to work. She gave God honor and glory and spent the rest of her life devoted to the Kingdom of God. May we all cry out to God in our needs and be willing to use the gifts, talents and resources as modeled for us by Anna and Susan Warner. God did not abandon them, and He will never desert us. In fact, our hard times may be those times that define us.

JESUS LOVES ME

Jesus loves me this I know,
Though my hair is white as snow.
Though my sight is growing dim,
Still He bids me trust in Him.

Though my steps are oh, so slow,
With my hand in His I'll go.
On through life, let come what may,
He'll be there to lead the way.

Though I am no longer young,
I have much which He's begun.
Let me serve Christ with a smile,
with others the extra mile.

When the nights are dark and long,
In my heart He puts a song.
Telling me in words so dear,
'Have no fear, for I am near

When my work on earth is done,
And life's victories have been won.
He will take me home above,
Then I'll understand His love.

I love Jesus, does He know?
Have I ever told Him so?
Jesus loves to hear me say,
That I love Him every day
--Author Unknown

1 comment:

Red Letter Believers said...

Kay

There is something profoundly liberating about the love of Christ. It can break down walls. It can shake us to our foundation. It can change our life.

Thanks for the post
David

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.