Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Razor Wire: Value Added

"Razor Wire" Prison Ministry Newsletter's first issue is set for November 20th!!!

I've had the "itch" to write for months. This blog has been the only way for me fulfill God's call to write. My life changed abruptly in April when my husband died. When I have prayed for God's plan for my life; all I sensed was "write." No one was seeking my writing and it has been decades since I had published anything. A 64 year old woman regenerating a writing career wasn't logical to me.

Yesterday a long scheduled meeting occurred with a pastor in our church who heads up a large prison ministry. We have officially begun two writing projects: pen pal ministry to inmates and a monthly newsletter to all SC inmates. When we came together the pastor named the inmates' newsletter: Razor Wire. He desires it to be stories of encouragement and uplifting. After 2 hours of wonderful brain storming he decided to place me over all the projects. We will be recruiting writers, artists, humorists, and cartoonists for 2 monthly newsletters (one for ministry and one for inmates) and letter writers to inmates.

Today I am sobered by God's call: "Write." I could not imagine how I would fulfill God's call with no one desiring my skills. Now, I am praying anew: "Lord, give me strength to fulfill Your call with so much demand for my writing and leadership skills."

I asked Pastor Jerry what "thread" did he desire to weave in all of these projects. He said that he wanted the inmates and the community to know the value that exoffenders add. He said they are assets!!! When they have completed their work in transition housing and follow up ministry of mentors and accountability for financial literacy, etc. they offer much to a business, church or business. We concluded they are: Value Added.

I'm expectant and most aware that this is God's work and I must be conscious of being led by Holy Spirit in all things. I leave you today with joy of fulfillment of this most mysterious call months ago: Write. I also want you to contemplate that you are value added wherever you are. You are an asset!!!



1 comment:

jhunnelle said...

I'm happy for you Kay, you are an anointed and a gifted writer, and i believe that writing in your blog is just a preparation for the greater task that He wants you to accomplish.

I pray for wisdom, knowledge and revelation from God everytime you "WRITE"

God abundant blessings be upon you always.

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.