Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Love What You Do: Discipline or Devotion



When you love what you do; excellence just comes naturally.


Thrive Christians, is a blog dedicated to encouraging me and you readers to thrive. I'm convinced that I make decisions that determine outcomes in my life including my physical, emotional, spiritual and financial health.

In a most challenging time a few years ago I prayed for God to keep me focused so that I didn't get lost in the situation I found myself. This word: Thrive came to me.

Of all things I expected to think on; thrive didn't even make the top ten on my list. But I made a conscious decision to thrive with all that was in me, no matter what. Remarkably I did thrive.

Widowhood has suddenly brought me to many new challenges including grief. I am praying for God's leading as I reinvent my world while I am holding on to that word: thrive.

Loughter and fun are dilberately stirred up here. If you hit this blog only occassionally it might appear that there is no focus or strategy, but I assure you I am in a fight for my best life: I am believing God is giving me a thriving life...even now. He is, but when negative urges pull at me, I have to make conscious decisions to pray and move toward thriving.

As I plan my time I have the advice of several people I respect. They independently have said the same thing to me. Make sure you love what you do, as much as you can choose what takes your tlme. I am doing what I love: writing, speaking, jewelry making and renovating my house. Much of the writing and speaking is Christian ministry. It is amazing how the work is my joy. What a gift to fill a need and love the work required to fulfill the need.

Chew on these quotes and comment if I've hit a chord on you thriving:
"The freedom to do your best means nothing unless you are willing to do your best." — Colin Powell

"People think I'm disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference." - Luciano Pavarotti


Two Questions:

Are you willing to do your best?

What are you devoted to?

Whatever I do and wherever I spend my time all is done with the knowledge that God is present. Everything in my life is centered on this one verse:

Colossians 3:17: "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."




4 comments:

Starr LaPradd said...

That was an awesome post, Kay. Your words of wisdom always touch me deep inside.
I am glad you are thriving and you are definitely touching lives of those you come into contact with.
Thanks for your prayers for me.
Love ya,
Starr

God's girl said...

Great post! You always encourage me Kay. You are a thriver!
Much love,
Angela

Joyfulsister said...

Hi My Sis..
Wow.. something to truly ponder, and I shall continue to ponder on it before I go to bed. Just got back from camp I am rested and back to catch up on my sistah's. Kay I thank the Lord for you today, I read a comment you wrote on a friends blog about friends being honest enough to tell you when they don't like something, even a blog. I love your honest answer and input. I also agreed on that as well. I just wanted to tell you that *smile* and say helooo

Hugz Lorie

Clay Feet said...

I too enjoy reading your blog even though sometimes I wonder if I am the only male here. I resonate with your fascination with this word thrive. If you are interested I would highly recommend taking a look at some of the materials available from Jim Wilder. Ever since I met him my interest in thriving has been peaked. This is what nearly everything he teaches revolves around.
I don't know much about you like most of the other people who comment but I do value your willingness to speak from the heart. I too am trying to practice this more openly but it takes time after spending a lifetime trying to hide it.

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.