Seems those leading youth mission trips break out in a cold sweat when they hear those three words. Enjoy this list today from true reports from frazzled youth leaders:
What You DON'T Want To Hear on Mission Trips from http://stufffchristianslike.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
1. "Quick, quick, quick, which snakes are the poisonous ones?"
2. "I know, I know, but I've always wanted to see what it was like to drive on the other side of the road and I didn't expect that to happen."
3. "Do you mind carrying this through customs for me?"
4. "Do you know the Swahili for 'I dropped my souvenir machete on my foot?' Because I don't, and I did."
5. "I don't own a tankini."
6. "It's so hot here. I mean I know we're in Africa, in the summer, in the desert, but I didn't expect it to be this hot."
7. "It's so cold here and no I don't want to wear that mission trip coat. I don't like the color. "
8. "Does anyone know how to fix a flat tire/put out an engine fire/completely rebuild a 1987 VW Vanagon?"
9. "Has anyone seen my passport?"
10. "I think it would be a cool sign of Christian brotherhood if we all didn't shave/bath with soap/brush our teeth while we're here."
11. "Sure, bug spray is nice, but the jumping spiders just consider that a condiment, so save it. "
12. "This time it is love. No really, this time it is love."
13. "I think I sprained my ankle."
Comments from other survivors of mission trips sent in these remembrances:
Has anyone seen [name of youth on trip]
- "Hey come over here" Said by man holding a gun. This is a true story. Now why the group crossed the street is beyond me.
- "You do know that ice is made from water right?"
- "What is a typhoon?" (Another true story).
- "When I asked you to bring your birth certificates along, do you think you could have told me you were born in Africa BEFORE we got to the Mexican border??" This detained two of our youth directors for 5 hours!
- "Young man, were you aware that the punishment in South Nowhereia for looking at a woman is getting your eyes poked out with a sharp sick." (Through a translator).
- "Are rashes supposed to cover your entire body???!!"