Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wednesday Showcase on Generosity

It is my honor to showcase Scott Ginsberg for His Generosity and Genius!!!

A few years ago I was led to check out Scott's website:

His blog is one of my favorite hangouts.
http://hellomynameisscott.blogspot.com/

Scott Ginsberg is a professional speaker, "the world's foremost field expert on nametags" and author of HELLO my name is Scott and The Power of Approachability. He works with people and organizations who want to become UNFORGETTABLE communicators - one conversation at a time. For more information contact Front Porch Productions at http://www.hellomynameisscott.com/.

I found this tribute to Scott in the book:Marketing the Church: How to Communicate Your Church's Purpose and Passion in a Modern Context by Michael Daehn; published by Lulu.com 2006.ISBN 141167071X

p. 149-150 "I met my friend Scott Ginsberg at an NSA (Nat'l Speakers Assoc,). He was wearing a nametage that said, "Hello, My Name is Scott." There was nothing unusual about this; we were all wearing nametags.

His, however, was hand written in a different color than ours. Why? Because, Scott has been wearing a nametage every single day for over 5 years now. If you want to see the status of how many days he is at today, check out his website http://www.hellomynameisscott.com/.

Sounds a little odd, but Scott is one of the brightest and most innovative people I have met. The reason he wears a nametag is because it acts as a means of approachability. In fact, Scott has written two books on the subject.

He is a professional speaker who works with groups who want to learn to be more friendly and approachable. Understandably he has worked with several churches interested in becoming a more outgoing congregation.

Scott says if you want to start talking to people, you need a good front porch, like in the good-old-days when people would stop and talk to their neighbors on the porch. Today we need to figure out a way to make ourselves approachable by creating front porches that invite conversation and interaction.

Scott explains this way better in his book: The Power of Approachability. If you are looking for innovative and powerful ways to get your church to build relationships with people, I would highly recommend reading this book or talking to Scott himself, he's very approachable. On his site you can read about "52 Ways to Build Front Porches", such as wear a t-shirt that people will comment about. Some others:1) Smile2) Make eye contact3) Comment about someone’s jewelry4) Ask about someone’s t-shirt."

-=======================-


Below is an excellent example of Scott's wit and self-effacing humor:

"I recently spoke at The Turnaround Conference at the St. Peters Church of the Shepherd. My keynote address pointed out the dichotomy of Unforgettable First Impressions. In other words, GOOD Unforgettable vs. BAD Unforgettable.

Judging by the audience's response, the speech went excellent. They were volunteering, echoing, clapping - everything a speaker hopes to hear. I also had the opportunity to meet many attendees afterwards who shared stories and examples about good (and bad) first impressions.

When the day was over I walked out to my car feelin' great. The cool wind brushed against my face as the sun trickled down the sky. Then, I got smacked with one of the biggest doses of irony in my entire life...When I opened the door to my Altima, I noticed the console of my 12 disc changer was ripped out of its socket.

Hmmm, that's weird. Must've kicked it on accident when I got out of the car earlier.I started the car and reached for my traditional post-speech celebration music, Counting Crows' This Desert Life. But it wasn't sitting in its usual cubby hole. Interesting. Guess the CD wallet fell on the floor.Well, it didn't.

I looked around the floor for a few minutes, and then it hit me: my car got jacked. Somebody broke into it, tried to rip off my CD console, then stole 30 of my CD's.

And in the parking lot of a CHURCH, no less!Un-freaking-believable.I ran back inside to grab my client, Amanda. She was furious. She couldn't believe it. She recommended we call the police, although I told her not to make a big deal of it."We have to file a report. This is ridiculous!" she said.

And about 20 minutes later Amanda and I found ourselves on the front drive of the church, filing a report with the St. Peters Police Department.

Inside the church were hundreds of people I'd just given a speech to who probably thought I was being arrested for some ridiculous crime.

Officers Bittle and Molynski of the St. Peters Police asked me all the necessary questions about the incident, namely, "Mr. Ginsberg, was your car locked?""No...why would I lock my car? This is a CHURCH, right?" I said with a hint of sarcasm in my voice. We all laughed.
Officer Molynski asked if I worked at the church. I told him no, but rather that I was giving a speech about UNFORGETTABLE first impressions. We all laughed even harder.

Once we finished the report, Officer Molynski gave Amanda and I a few tips on theft prevention. He was thankful for our cooperation. Then I offered to sign a free copy of The Power of Approachability .

I left the parking lot of the church and thought, wow - talk about an UNFORGETTABLE first impression. Unfortunately, not the kind I was hoping for.
---------------------------------------


Thrive Christian Readers, You know the routine: get otta' here. Go visit Scott at http://www.hellomynameisscott.com/ or his blog at:

No comments:

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.