Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hope Can Change Everything

Need a good editor with a quick red pen.


Welcome to Thrive Christians blog. If you're new; I'm writing daily on ways to embrace life and thrive. I've yearned to write for decades, but I now have the time to try again at this passion.
Blogging is a comfortable place for me to work out the "rust" in my brain, and weave the words packed back in my heart.
I'm passionate about my faith and living each day wide awake knowing life itself is a wonderful gift from God.

Lately I've been getting a few writing assignments. A.I.M, Anderson Interfaith Ministries, has asked me to write a poem for a ministry that I believe in with all my heart. I am listing the website for you to see for yourself what is happening to reverse poverty here in SC: http://www.aimcharity.org/

Writing this blog is a stretch, but poetry just "sounds" out of my range. Well let's give it a go. The particular ministry I'm writing this poem for is Women and Children Succeeding (WACS). This program gives parents and disadvantaged children the opporunity to break the cycle of poverty and become independent, self-sufficient, and successful. The number one barrier for parents is the lack of childcare. The WACS program helps participants obtain quality childcare.

For decades I have worked hands-on with those burdened with poverty and illiteracy. Many times those caught up in these snares have taught me more about the meaning of life and the mercy of God than anyone else in my life. I owe them much. I learned early on if you have no resources, you have no hope. When you are hopeless; utterly hopeless, you are careless. "What's the use?" is the only thought you can hold. Programs like WACS at AIM are what I see to be some of the best means to thrive as Christians.

Help me out. This is my rough draft of the poem. In the comment section show me how you think these words could flow better or express the heart of this ministry from what I've shared with you. I will see all of you as my editorial board.


Hands of Hope

You gave me hope, and
I found my voice.
No longer silent and afraid,
To believe in tomorrow
For me and mine.

Hopeless, I was careless.

What did it matter?
No childcare, no way to work
Hopeless and isolated,
Did anyone care?

WACS gave me hope and promise,
Made a way for work and school.
Hands of hope gave me bootstraps,
I’m pulling myself up
For me and mine.

Working hard suits me fine.
No longer stuck in a rut.
Your hands of hope
Made a way where there was no way.

You cared,
You listened,
You showed me my worth;
I’ve learned to be a mother that matters.

Hear the sound of hope and love,
As my children laugh,
And hear their dreams of tomorrow.
We’re breaking the mold.

Poverty stops here.
Your hands of hope break
The chains of fear and despair.
Hope brings power and promise.

I’m no longer invisible.
You gave me my voice.
Hear me sing a song of hope.
Your hands opened a new world to me and mine.

WACS' h
ands of hope
Gave me and mine
Lives of dignity, value and success.
Now I pray my hands
Will be hands of hope for others.

Copyright 2008 Kay Martin

No comments:

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.