Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Inertia Buster: Move it! Move it! Movet it!

"Move it! Move it! Move it! I can't Heeeaaar you!"
Sgt. Carter on Gomer Pyle made this line famous on the TV comic sitcom series years ago.

Reading your comments for solutions to my inertia gave me a flashback of Sgt. Carter screaming in Gomer Pyle's face. Yes, Marine drill sergeants are tough. But it turns out that "move it" is actually great advice. So when I'm about to recline and rest for too long I smile and hear "Move it! Move it! Move it!" I don't salute, but I get moving.

Action is significant in thriving Christian living. I've realized for some time I love proclamation, but I delay in demonstration of my faith. The Bible is full of warning of hearing from God, but delay in obedience.

James always gets my number. Look at this verse in the first chapter of the book of James.“Or if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his own face in a mirror. He sees himself, then goes off and promptly forgets what he looked like.” (James 1, 23-24)

When I reflect on my weekend inertia I realize I like action, but I like dramatic action with bravado. When I was younger I could work all night and accomplish huge things in quick order. So I would put things off and then with olympic effort get caught up and feel like a champ. A note to my younger readers: that crazy all night working catch-up is not possible in later years.

To become successful I must be willing to start with small consistent actions. Some of these may appear trivial and insignificant, but in reality they are extremely important.

Move it! Move it! Move it! is to be taken quite literally. Some of your comments line up with all the experts' advice. When I get stuck I need to move physically. When we dance, walk, or any physical exercise the effect is realized mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Sleep and rest are vital to thriving health. But imbalance or over use of anything ends up being detrimental to our health. Every day needs a healthy balance of rest and action. I've overdone the rest....so I hear you Sarge. I'm up .... I'm moving ....Action!!!

Oswald Chambers, author of My Utmost for His Highest, always sobers me up to the highest calling for best practices in my Christian life. Here he goes again:

"The revelations of God are sealed until we open them up by our obedience.
They will never be opened up by your philosophing and thinking.”

1 comment:

photo lady said...

Hi-I HEAR you!! I will get to moving too. Elaine

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.