Friday, June 6, 2008

Sunrise worth the effort to see


Sunrise from Upper Lake Park (Winter 2006) ~ by M.J. Pettengill
http://www.ci.port-washington.wi.us/Photos/Sunrise/Index.htm

Good Morning Sunshine,

I ran across this picture and realized I casually rise early most mornings witout ever looking out the window for hours. What am I missing like this sunrise everyday? My inspiration to thrive each morning could be as near as my window just when the sun peaks out of the darkness. As I write about thriving I am discovering I have at hand much of everything I need to thrive. I've just got to wake up and pay attention to the beauty around me.

I made an early run this morning to the waste dump facility. Our heat wave has hit us even in the early mornings. The waste facility employee was seated by the garbage dumpster with an umbrella over his chair. I mentioned I hoped it would help with the heat. He shook his head, and told me within hours he would be in the full sun. I tried to imagine what all that garbage would smell like in 95 degree weather. Bagged garbage stewing has to create some foul fumes. Some jobs truly test you. Driving out there I had been dreading coming back home to my list of "have to's." My heart goes out to the workers at the dump, but I am getting ready to jump on my tasks with relieved vigor that I'm not sweating in the hot sun with stench filling my nose. I so appreciate the service of the dump when I'm cleaning out closets, etc., and I'm praying workers with those kinds of tasks find good ways to manage their hardships.

God has created us with ways to cope with whatever comes. That man needs that job, and has found a way to handle it. He obviously has lived through many hot days because he was quick to tell me the hour the umbrella could not offer any shade. He's found a way to make it even when he sweats and the garbage stinks. This man is encouraging me on those things I'm worrying about being too difficult and will likely stink.

No comments:

© 2008 Kay Martin

Thrive In Christ

Who I Am In Christ by Neil Anderson

For several months we will center on this book to pursue Thriving in our Christian journey.

Neil challenges us with: "Do you know who you are in God's eyes? We are no longer products of our past. We are primarily products of Christ's work on the cross. Who we are determines what we do.

You are not who you are in Christ because of the things you have done, you are in Christ because of what He has done. He died and rose again so that you and I could live in the FREEDOM of His love."

That's just the introduction. More to follow.